Friday, November 18, 2011

The Stars that were shining brightly in 2011



As we head into the Divisional Finals this weekend, the CFL celebrated those players that impressed throughout the year, making it to the ultimate in recognition as CFL All Stars for 2011.

League balloting, head coach reviews and input from the Football Reporters of Canada were combined to tally up the list, a preamble for the league's Most Outstanding Player Awards which will be revealed during Grey Cup week in Vancouver.

Not surprising, considering their last season surge, the BC Lions led the All Star parade with 9 spots claimed on the 24 all star listings this year.  With their outstanding work all season long, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers defensive corps were next on the list with 4 of the 5 Winnipeg all star spots.

The remaining six teams split up the rest of the all star spots on this years all star roster.

Of the 27 All Stars named to the CFL All Star listings this year, eight were Canadian, 19 were imports.

This years All Stars include:
( I - denotes import, C- Canadian)

OFFENCE

Quarterback-- Travis Lulay - BC Lions (I)
Running Back-- Jerome Messam -- Edmonton Eskimos (C)
Running Back-- Brandon Whitaker -- Montreal Alouettes (I)
Receiver-- Nik Lewis - Calgary Stampeders (I)
Receiver -- Jamel Richardson-- Montreal Alouettes (I)
Receiver-- Geroy Simon -- BC Lions (I)
Receiver-- Fred Stamps -- Edmonton Eskimos (I)
Tackle-- Josh Bourke -- Montreal Alouettes (C)
Tackle-- Jovan Olafloye -- BC Lions (I)
Guard-- Brendan LaBatte-- Winnipeg Blue Bombers (C)
Guard-- Dimitri Tsoumpas -- Calgary Stampeders (C)
Centre-- Angus Reid -- BC Lions (C)


DEFENCE

Defensive Tackle-- Aaron Hunt -- BC Lions (I)
Defensive Tackle-- Khalif Mitchell -- BC Lions  (I)
Defensive End-- Justin Hickman -- Hamilton Tiger Cats (I)
Defensive End-- Odell Willis -- Winnipeg Blue Bombers (I)
Linebacker-- Chip Cox-- Montreal Alouettes (I)
Linebacker-- Solomoan Elimimian -- BC Lions (I)
Linebacker-- Jerrell Freeman -- Saskatchewan Roughriders (I)
Corner Back-- Jovon Johnson -- Winnipeg Blue Bombers (I)
Corner Back-- Byron Parker -- Toronto Argonauts (I)
Defensive Back-- Korey Banks -- BC Lions (I)
Defensive Back-- Jonathon Hefney-- Winnipeg Blue Bombers (I)
Safety-- Ian Logan -- Winnipeg Blue Bombers (C)

SPECIAL TEAMS

Kicker-- Paul McCallum -- BC Lions (C)
Punter-- Burke Dales -- Calgary Stampeders (C)
Special Teams -- Chad Owens -- Toronto Argonauts (I)

2011 Division All Star listings

Globe and Mail-- Lulay one of nine Lions named to all-star squad
Vancouver Sun-- CFL All Stars represent youth, longevity
Vancouver Sun-- Lions CFL all stars separated by 17 years
Toronto Star-- Two Argos named CFL all-stars
Edmonton Journal-- Stamps, Messam named stars
TSN-- Lions centre Reid's pain pays off with First All Star nod
Straight.com-- BC Lions lead CFL with nine all-star selections

No comments: